Tuesday, September 19, 2006

My experiments with animals

Continues. Unabated.

Time constraints have forced me to leave out a lot of beautiful looking species of fish so far, as well as the reptiles and the amphibians. But have managed to get some constructive work done in the food area.

Firstly, I have finally eaten Shark's Fin Soup. Have never been to this part of the world before, and the trip around Europe was done on a shoestring budget, which forced us to survive on fruits and broths of various hues for the best part. Now that I am in the Far East - or somewhere around there - got a chance to try some Shark's Fin Soup. Was delighted about it.

But, truth be told, I didn't understand the hype. Admittedly, it was an interesting texture. And the taste was perfectly fine. No complaints. But it wasn't special.

Then I got my teeth into some fine Argentine venison preparations. This was delightful. Really, really good. Shredded venison in some sort of red/brown sauce...dry for the most part. But very, very nice. Had a Chinese version as well. Not as good.

And there have been different varieties of fish here and there. Some long thin ones. Some roundish things. Some crab. Some prawns. Good stuff on the whole.

The last thing I am targetting before leaving is some frog. It's available. And looks perfectly edible. The only problem is that they sell it by the weight, and you can't buy less than a kilo. And I can't eat a kilo of it by myself, can I? Heck, maybe I can and I will. If I can't get someone (no one wants it) to split a kilo with me, I'll go it myself.

Watch this space for a possible update.